Monday, August 23, 2010

Reader's Thumb

     As a stand-up comic, I live in LA and work three day jobs.  Nights I spend either on stage at a gig I booked, seeking a new stage to be booked at, or working on material for my show.  I also have my personal enhancement time which may include studying subjects I enjoy, working out, dining with friends or relaxing at the beach.  There is one past-time however, that I do every single day.  That is read.  

     Before I close my eyes at night, I lay in bed, turn on my reading light, and settle in to what ever novel I am on that day.  This is how I came up with the name for the blog.  I noticed that my fingertips and particularly my thumbs began to hurt.  At first, I could not figure out what was causing it.  Then, just out of nowhere, it dawned on me that the holding of a book in my hand and the turning of pages was absorbing the moisture from my thumb.  Hence, Reader's Thumb.  It's my name for the strange sensation I feel in my thumb after hours of reading.  I also began searching for solutions to solve it as it was beginning to be painful.  I believe similar "injuries" occur with people who work in packing.  Some years ago, I worked in a Vitamin Supplement company wherein I took orders and then shipped them.  My hands were constantly dry from the packing materials and I suspect that is what is occurring in my thumb.  It is raw from reading.

Now, I coat my thumb with cocoa butter.  It works for me, but it does rub off onto the pages.  Another way of handling it is to switch hands.  I noticed I tend to hold the book in my right hand.  I started holding it in my left and alternating.  I also began holding the book with my thumb in the back and my fingers in the front.  It may  suffice to use a Thimble, which has crossed my mind.  If you have an idea to contribute, please comment here as I would love to hear it!

If you have experienced this, you are not alone! To all readers out there who have Reader's Thumb, I am with you and loving it.  It's a sign of a true book-worm.

Tomorrow, I will discuss some rather interesting and amusing books I have read of late.  Please join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment