Friday, August 27, 2010

Oh...If it's British, I really Like it!

     As I have completed all M.C. Beaton novels available, (Boo Hoo!)  I had to go investigating.  I feel like Alexander the Great...I wept, for there were no more books to read!  Alas, a browse through Borders Vine & Sunset thoroughly disabused me of that idea.  I am back in business and loving it.

     While  perusing the Mystery Thriller section and actually not really finding anything interesting, I spotted Careless In Red, by Elizabeth George.  Nice cover.  Got to skimming the back of the book and I liked the concept.  I like red.  I liked the line, "He found the body on the forty-third day of his walk..." Got me.  Right there, it was more interesting than anything else I had picked up and in fact, before I happened across it, I had almost reluctantly given up my search.

     This is a fascinating tale.  It has everything I like!  Set in Cornwall near New Scotland Yard, handsome guy, evil women, surfers, suspense and a dead body.  What's not to like?  Well, it was, I must admit, a bit difficult to follow at first.  Some of the lines in the book are a little off my reality point.  I am speaking of the characters and how they talk to each other.  I am not quite sure they are believable.  I can stretch my suspension of disbelief however, as the story is good.  The descriptions are excellent and the suspense is riveting.  It seemed to jump around a bit at first, but I realized later the necessity of it as the background on the characters needs filling in.  I particularly like the outbursts of one D.S. Havers, a Chick-Cop who arrives on scene and wreaks havoc on unsuspecting suspects. It's this British dry sarcasm that I absolutely adore.  You'll just have to read the book and meet this lady.

     I am on page 627 of 725 and still interested.  So that debunks my unbelievable theory.   I stuck with it.  Not only this, but I enjoy a long book.  I love Stephen King for that reason.  His novels run long and fierce with stories within stories and this one goes long and I'm liking it.  I am sure to finish it tonight as less than a hundred pages will keep me up until I find out who did it at least!  I recommend this book.  I had it at work with me today in the boutique and a customer spied it.  She said she liked Elizabeth George and then recommended another author as well whose name I cannot remember.  I'll remember it though, and when I do, I'll be reading a book and reporting on it!


     It's 11:31 and it's been a long day.  The boutique was busy as usual and I have retail feet.  I've grabbed a late snack of sauteed vegetables and a toasted chicken taquito and I'm off to bed with the good book to get to the bottom of it.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment