Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rules of Prey

I won't tell you how it ends.

What I will tell you is from the first page, I couldn't put it down.  I brought it to work, to bed, and everywhere else.  Forensics would have a field day because my DNA is all over this book.


John Sanford, author of Rules of Prey  grabs your attention and keeps it straight through page 362.  This is one of those situations where your mind starts to wander and think about all of the ways someone could snatch you.  How many times have I walked to my car unaware of watchful eyes?  I don't know.  I do know that although I never think of myself as a target, one cannot be to careful.  I don't want to live my life in fear, but  psychos do exist and one should simply be aware of that fact and stay prepared. Should I carry pepper spray?  Or mace?  A gun?  It is LA. Should I just stay home?  Nah. But the story has the reader contemplating, that is for sure.


Sanford tells both sides of this sordid tale of a serial killer.  He's methodical.  He's normal in appearance.  No one would ever suspect him of foul play.  Some people are obviously crazy.  Those are easy to pick out of a crowd by their dress and behavior.  But what about when it's just some average looking guy who is quiet and reserved?  He's right next to you and you have no idea.  I like to think I might.  I've done some other studies on detecting anti-social personalities.  No one wants to accuse someone of being evil, myself included.  If you're paying attention, however, there are subtle characteristics. Louis Vullion has them and no one is the wiser. On the outside, he's a lawyer.  Not even the court-room drama type.  One of those research guys. But still water runs deep. Perhaps as deep as the knife Vullion uses to flay his victims.

A slew of heinous crimes ensues throughout the city.  All directed at women and all completely without cause other than the insane cravings of a mad man.  Womanizer and hard-ass Lucus Davenport is on the scent.  It's a game of match-set which I thoroughly enjoy, being a chess player.  Any girl reading about Davenport is apt to have the equivalent of a female hard-on, while at the same time wondering whether or not she'd give in to his charms if she ever met him face to face.  He's a lying cheating bastard who is also incredibly smart, handsome,  rich, and not afraid to bust up some bad guy's nose if the man is stupid enough to cross him. Just my type.

Pick up a copy of Rules of Prey and settle in with a revolver by your side while you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment