Friday, April 27, 2012

The Reversal & The Fifth Witness

  Initially, let me address the title of my blog for those of you who recently became acquainted.  I read every day.  I read as much as I can get away with during the day, meaning I sneak in a chapter or two between customers if I'm working in a boutique or at my own weekend business.  My reading is done predominantly in the evening, however. It is not unusual to wake up in the morning with a book on my face. I sleep with them! My bed was handmade and crafted especially for this purpose.  It has two large shelves directly above my head complete with reading light and stacks of books on the agenda.  That is because my mattress is ultra comfortable and frankly, I'm lazy.  Once I am under the covers, there is no climbing out for anything.  

     The title of the blog is "Reader's Thumb" because the pages are made of paper and over time, literally siphon the oils out of my skin.  I am ambidextrous.  That only means I do certain things with either hand.  I am more right handed than left, but I can only do certain things with my left for some reason.  Typically, it is my right thumb that bears the brunt of damage from my book holding.  It gets dry and actually hurts.  I have to switch hands because my thumb is sore.  Hence, "Reader's Thumb."  There is only one person in the world I know who reads as much or more than I do and may share my dilemma.  Perhaps there are more and I don't know them. My hunch is that loyal readers are all walking with sore thumbs and I am just the first to give it a name, such as  repetitive injury health professionals announced the new form of carpel tunnel syndrome from texting: "Blackberry thumb."  

   Michael Connelly strikes again!  In The Reversal, a serial sex offender has somehow managed to get the charges reversed after twenty-four years in prison.  The Lincoln Lawyer enlists his half brother, detective Harry Bosh, a fictitious character from Connelly's other series, to do the leg work on this quarter of a century old crime.  We aren't disappointed.  Of course, there is also the personal side to my favorite defense attorney, his ex-wife, Maggie "McFierce" and their interludes. A solid read.  I won't tell you what Bosch finds at the culprit's condo.  You'll just have to get the book.

     The Fifth Witness is another mind rattling page turner.  This one focuses on a client whom while amidst a political war to keep her home from foreclosure finds herself the suspect in a murder investigation.  All the courtroom drama of Law & Order and a surprising ending.  Haller is a straight shooter, but like myself, when he's blindsided, isn't above an underhanded play that dooms the adversary.  That's all I'm saying.   

      The Reversal and The Fifth witness are brilliant.  Of course, I am biased.  They are based in LA so it is particularly entertaining.  My other favorite series is set in Cotswolds where I've never been and am determined to visit. Who knows when that will occur?  In the interim, I enjoy my characters living in the vicinity.



     


No comments:

Post a Comment